Blog Archive

Sunday, December 2, 2012

30 Day Holiday Health Challenge: Week 1


Last week I put a challenge to myself. I decided to take on my health during the month of December. Some may say it’s crazy to do this before Christmas. Some may say it’s impossible. I say it’s neither.
The challenge includes:
1.       I cannot eat out during the work week.
2.       I must work out at least once a week.
3.       I cannot indulge in any candies, cookies, etc. during the work days.
4.       I must drink one Herbalife shake daily during the week.

To read the rationale behind these, see my blog “30 Holiday Health Challenge.” These rules apply specifically to me and aren’t guaranteed to provide weight loss. They were created to attack the weaknesses I have.
So after one week down, how did I do? Im happy to report that all challenge qualifications were met in the first week! 

The Third Day

In my opinion, the third day of any change is the worst! Days 1 and 2 are kinda new and fun. On day three, I woke up wanting a Chik-fil-A spicy chicken biscuit with no butter and a fruit cup for breakfast, a clear violation of rule number 1. But I resisted! I had a tasty Herbalife shake instead and met rule #4. If you can make it passed days 3 and 4, you can finish what you have started.

The Good Stuff

There are several things to be proud of in just the first week. I lost one pound! Very exciting considering it wasn’t my goal to lose weight. I made it to body pump and was sore for the next 3 days. I set out to accomplish something and for 7 days, I did it.

What’s the bigger picture?

But seriously, why do this? For me, it goes beyond my health during the month of December. I greatly desire to be more disciplined. I wouldn’t say I am a flake; I commit to others and perform what I say I will do for them. But more often than I would like, I am undisciplined in my own initiatives. I easily let myself down.
Someone who is disciplined will follow the path regardless of distraction or deterrence. Someone who is disciplined will complete the task despite others who may say it’s crazy or not possible to complete. Paul encourages self-discipline by comparing it to running a race.  
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.” 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27.
So you see the greater objective is to become a better runner, one that finishes races to gain the ultimate prize. If I am able to complete this self-induced, discipline forming challenge, I will be better for it. I will be more equipped to deal with situations that attempt to grab my attention away from God. And of course, there is the increased ability to say no in the presence of queso.

Today’s verse: “No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize,” 1 Corinthians 9:27.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool! I'm impressed with your discipline. I am working on losing the four pounds I gained over Thanksgiving. . . :)

    ReplyDelete