Blog Archive

Sunday, November 25, 2012

30 Day Holiday Health Challenge


I currently work with dialysis patients. Their diet is so important that if it's not followed, they could have a cardiac arrest or over time develop bone disease. So holidays are a scary time for me as their dietitian. They also make me think of my own eating during the holiday season. Now only a fool would create and accept her own health challenge during the holidays. But, perhaps if I am thinking about my own health I won’t be focused on cookies. And let’s face it, I have been eating like it is Christmas for the last 2 months or so anyway.

I have crafted some rules for this challenge.  These are not general rules, but rather rules that apply particularly to me. This is not a fad diet or extreme restriction designed to torture myself. It’s more about strengthening my personal discipline, setting goals and achieving them, and maintaining my weight during the holiday season. Each rule is designed to address specific behaviors that need some tidying up.

Goal: Maintain weight during the holiday season.

Rule 1: I will only dine out on the weekend. Weekend will be defined as Friday evening through Sunday lunch. This will be difficult because I may have to tell friends no for dinner.

Rule 2: I will have one Herbalife shake at least once a day during the week. It’s great nutrition and easy to make.

Rule 3: I will work out at least 1 day a week. I know one day doesn’t sound like a lot, but making a conscience effort to work out instead of figuring out how to not work out will be a huge step. Besides, I tried body pump a couple of weeks ago and I really like it.

Rule 4: I will not consume cookies, cakes, patries, sugary Christmas trees, or any of the sort during normal business hours. This will most likely be the time of day these items will appear in front of me.

Given what I know to be my pitfalls, I believe these 4 basic rules will keep me focused for the next 30 days. Now I need to find something to do with my time since I won’t be looking at sugary recipes on Pinterest.   

I hope you would also create your own health challenge during these next 30 days. Do not accept the notion that all common sense in regards to food is allowed to be thrown out the window this month and then attempt to make up for it in January. That never happens, but the effects of the next 30 days will haunt you for a long time.  

Today’s Verse: “In their hearts, humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.” Proverbs 16:9.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! You challenged me to come up with my own rules to maintain my weight during this tempting season to eat everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Tara! Good luck and let me know how it goes.

      Delete